Friday, July 10, 2009

4Kids Redeems Themselves...



Wow. Who saw that coming? I spotted this bit of news over on AnimeOnDVD's forums. Well, I was surprised, I can tell you that much.

It seems that 4Kids is currently working on releasing Sonic X UNCUT finally. To prove they're not just pulling people's legs and watching as they cling to false hope, they put up the above clip in Japanese, with English subtitles. It would seem that these episodes will be streaming online, either on YouTube or on 4Kids' website (or both). I don't know if this means that uncut DVDs will also be released in the near future, but keep your fingers crossed Sonic X fans. As of right now, there's no word on when they will start streaming the episodes. The clip they posted is described as a "work in progress" but I think we can expect something by the end of the year.

Also, as of right now, there is no word on whether or not an "uncut" dub will be produced (similar to the canceled Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! Uncut projects from several years back). If you're wondering why I would say "uncut" I mean to say "more true to the original Japanese script". If the show does get a new DVD release, maybe FUNimation (4Kids' distributor) will produce a new dub, just as they did with Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh! Uncut. That's just speculation though; when more information comes in you'll see a new post about it.

I have a few things to say about the show, but I'll leave that for another post. Enjoy this teaser in the mean time.

EDIT: According to Sonic Stadium, fans outside the US are blocked, for some odd reason, from seeing any of 4Kids' Sonic X videos (probably others too).

2 comments:

  1. Fans outside the US blocked? Well, that's interesting. That blows for Europe and Australia, I'll tell ya. Why do they always get shafted, man?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, who knows? I could swear 4Kids has the rights to the show AT LEAST in all English speaking territories, but I, unfortunately, just don't understand how licensing works, so I can't say.

    ReplyDelete