Monday, July 13, 2009

AMV: Rewriting SEGA

OK, I know, this is a total filler post, but I swear I'll lay off linking to YouTube videos after this and get back to putting proper content onto this blog, but, for now...

Rave had linked to this video on the Find the Computer Room forums the other day and I was blown away when I saw it. Amazing editing and a great story. Using the amazing Fullmetal Alchemist theme "Rewrite" by Asian Kung-Fu Generation, editor mtarzaim has put together a great video about SEGA and their iconic mascot, Sonic.



The translated lyrics work so perfectly in telling the story of SEGA's rise, subsequent fall and the eventual revival of Sonic (credited in this video largely to Nintendo) and the SEGA brand altogether. Even the ending song's lyrics (T.M. Revolution's "Heart of Sword" of Rurouni Kenshin fame) work on some level when you apply what they say to Sonic himself. The only thing wrong with this video was that it came out before Sonic Unleashed was first leaked/announced; I would have loved to see some footage from the first trailers in this thing. Ah well. Nitpick, nitpick, nitpick. The whole video is kind of a crash course on the history of video games, with a focus on SEGA and Sonic, along with a bit of Mario/Nintendo thrown into the mix (just before the chorus we see Sonic overtaking Mario and ultimately the two former rivals running side-by-side). This video just made me smile.

This is, without a doubt, one of my favorite AMVs I've seen in a long time. I haven't kept up with AMVs in YEARS and stopped making them a long time ago partially because I didn't have the proper equipment and started losing interest as a result. That's not to say a little film doesn't play out in my head when I hear certain songs, but it's sure been a long while since I've really played with any video editing software...

Anyway... I need to start putting together more content (and probably get in contact with Rave...) for this blog. Hopefully more interesting stuff will be coming this way before the summer ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment