Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Thoughts on SOPA/PIPA

UPDATE 01/19/2012 @ 2:30AM: And the blog has been restored. Hope this post was useful in some way.

--------

The "blacked out" banner used on 01/18/2012

I'm not much of a protester, I suppose it's not in my nature. But I feel like in a gesture of solidarity, as well as the fact that SOPA is every a bit of a threat to me (and not just because I run a Sonic fan-blog), I should do my part no matter how small it may be. So today, I've "removed" Sonic from the header. I'm also going to temporarily remove all viewable posts for the day. I don't know what it can do, but I feel like I should at least do something.

The protest from major websites like Google, Wikipedia, deviantArt, Mozilla, Reddit, The Sonic Stadium, Sonic Retro, and so many others (the last two are major communities for both fans and SEGA) will hopefully send a very clear and powerful message that SOPA and PIPA should not go through. For more information on the bills, Google has a great petition page that one can sign and read up on SOPA/PIPA and why they are such threats to the Internet. Sign it, read it, spread it around.

There are many other pages that people can get information, such as information to contact their representatives. I'm not as articulate as I'd like to be, so I don't think they'll be getting any e-mails/phone calls from me, but I highly recommend looking into it if you feel like voicing your opinion to someone who can effect some change.

For more information on SOPA and PIPA, go here: http://sopastrike.com/. Thank you. The blog will be restored early tomorrow.

--------

While I'm on the subject about this, I figured now would be as good a time as any to comment on something SOPA related that SEGA did last week. It concerns a fan who wrote to SEGA asking about their individual stance when the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) supports SOPA. Unfortunately, SEGA had given an automated response. SEGA soon caught their mistake and hilarity ensues.







I'm certainly glad SEGA caught their mistake, but this doesn't seem any more appropriate than the bot response. The video, while funny, was just a poor attempt at sweeping the real issue under the rug. I think it would be more professional and respectable of SEGA to just say that they can't publicly speak about it, rather than just let their community people dick around in front of a camera for a minute. That's just my two cents though. You can call it "crowd control," but it doesn't address the problem at all, and that's why it bugs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment